Thursday 21 July 2016

Loitering in the south of Mull

Before leaving the post office, I visited the (outside) toilet, only to be confronted by a heron outside the door.  He stayed until I was a few yards away before flying off.
There was a big mountain pass to go over on the way to Craignure, but it was a delight.  A huge wide green valley with a reasonable slope up, and a very long descent towards the Sound of Mull on the east of the island.
Who would want to visit a 15 mile dead-end road to a loch? I would.  Two lochs in fact, the shore overgrown with rhododendrons.   At the end I was hoping for a café but it was getting late and there weren't any people around - would it be open? I was surprised to find the Old Post Office - an honesty shop.  Not much else but a nice beach.  On the way back, there was a red deer in the road, as big as me, about ten yards away.  Perhaps it was the rattling bike, or the squeaky brakes, but he leapt away before I got there.
Grass Point was another view point.  You could see all the mountains across on the mainland,  and Oban opposite,  ferries shuttling to and from Craignure, my destination tonight.   And a seal, immobile on the rocks a few yards from Grass Point Cottage.   Completely immobile.  Suspicious.   I didn't go and poke him, just in case.
The Craignure bunkhouse is new: the third new one I've stayed in this year.  It must be good business: these places are very well equipped and not cheap to set up.  Very welcoming, and a pub just next door too.  I was half an hour after they stopped serving food, but they managed to get me some fish and chips anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.