Saturday 16 July 2016

Full Scottish Weather

It's been a wild day.  I left the oasis of the Cowshed at 7:30 hoping to avoid the worst of the rain and cycle round the far north of the Trotternish peninsula.  This worked well for a while: as I went across the deserted top of Skye the wind was behind me and there was even some milky sunlight.  A serious escarpment runs down Trotternish and I cycled south under high cliffs and the exotic landforms of the Quiraing, against a strong wind. 
My early start worked against me at Staffin, where I was ready for elevenses, but they were still shut.  It started to rain, and the wind was howling in my face.  There was no stopping, for me or the rain, until Portree, a 17 mile endurance test.  The car park for the Old Man of Storr was overflowing with about 50 cars for 20 spaces, but the Old Man himself was partly obscured by mist.  It had a jet-blast of wind coming round it, trying to push me off the road.
Eventually at Portree,  I went into the first café and stayed as long as possible.  It was raining even harder when I reluctantly left. In desperation,  I considered looking round Boots, bu there was nothing for it, I had to ride.  I don't think the road to Sligachan is noteworthy, but I wasn't really looking at the view very much. 
Sligachan has a hotel, with a new bar since the last time I visited 30 years ago, and an impressive selection of several hundred whiskies..   This was where the rest of the tourists were, maybe 100 of them, all avoiding the great outdoors.  Further delaying tactics there, involving a wood burning stove, before the final miles back to Broadford.

1 comment:

  1. A new bar in the Sligachan, eh? Turn your back for half a century and they mess everything about.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.